UNDER THE LABEL
Local and International Product Managers
Coordinate the different departments to lead and oversee all releases of an artist during an album campaign.
When an artist signs to a label, they are assigned to one or two product managers. A ‘domestic’ product manager, working on promoting the music in the country where the label is located, and an international product manager, in charge of promotion internationally.
Each product manager is assigned a roster of artists (usually around 3 to 5 artists across different genres). Their role is to be the lead on all releases of an artist during an album campaign. They are the go-to person for the band and manager inside the label. They discuss rollout plans, marketing, and advertising strategies, and manage the overall budget of the project.
Project Management is not a department in itself inside the label. Project Managers are the coordinators of every person across all departments working on an artist's project. They make sure every decision, choice, and plan is being looked at from a marketing standpoint to radio, press, and production.
In a sense, they can be compared to the artist’s manager inside the label.
Focused on a couple of artists, the local product manager's task is to promote the album locally, in the country of the label. They travel a lot with artists during their promo tour.
INTERNATIONAL PRODUCT MANAGER
Under the International Departement, IPMs locate the international markets of artists and plan the strategy to promote it through radio, interviews, partnerships, collaborations ... They travel internationally with artists during promo tours.
!! REGIONAL PRODUCT MANAGER !!
In the Radio/Promotion department, there are also “Regional Product Managers”. This is a completely different position, only specific to radio. If you want to know more about that click on Promotion.
A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A PRODUCT MANAGER
Product manager @Sony Music Entertainment US
THE TASKS OF A PRODUCT MANAGER
Whom they work with and what they do
- Make sure the physical copies are being produced and delivered on time
- Make sure the licensing is completed and the DSPs have received the songs for a release
- Discuss the rollout plans and craft marketing and advertising campaigns
- Determine who is the audience and which are the best markets for the artist
- Make sure the marketing plan is being executed
- Make sure the budget allocated to a campaign is being respected across the different plans
MANAGEMENT/ CREATIVE DIRECTION
- Work on the album imagery
- Oversee the artwork
- Organize and coordinate photo and video shoots
- Define which markets need radio promotion
- Accompany the artist to radio interviews and promo tours
- Scout for photographers/video directors
- Coordinate band photoshoots
- Organize and plan music video shoots
Is a degree required?
Is a degree recommended?
The recommended majors for product management are business administration and marketing. An MBA can also be a plus.
A rollout often refers to a significant product release, which is frequently accompanied by a strong marketing campaign to generate consumer interest.
Digital Service Provider (DSP) is an online store (iTunes, Amazon Music, etc.) or streaming service (Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal, YouTube Music) that features digital albums and singles.